2 years ago
April 27, 2009
Canada....an anniversary
Today, April 26th, marks 43 years since I stepped onto Canadian soil for the first time in my life! Where on earth has the time gone?! It still feels like it was just a few years ago, yet it's been a lifetime! I remember that day so clearly....April 26th, 1966. I know the exact day because of the little yellow slip of paper that sits in the back of my passport. It's my Landed Immigrant stamped paper saying that I was now a legal resident in Canada! Many changes have occured in my life since then, but nothing can erase that memory and the feeling of excitement as our ship docked in Montreal after a one week sail across the Atlantic. I'm glad I came by ship. It was a gradual realization that I was actually on my way to a new life. I think a seven hour flight by plane would not have given the same feeling. The morning we docked at Montreal it was a crisp beautiful Spring morning.....but there was also a thin coating of ice on the decks of the ship and a lot of us went sliding and crashing across to the other side of the ship! LOL Welcome to Canada!
I should write more about my introduction to Canada but will leave that for another post. In the meantime I will just say that overall I'm happy to be in this country and at the same time, proud of being from England.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How odd Andrea because that is exactly the amount of time I will have been married, on July 22.
Post a Comment